1946 The California legislature creates healthcare districts, publically elected entities with the mandate to improve health care in their communities. Marin Healthcare District (MHD), like most other districts, embarks on plans to build a hospital to meet the health care needs of its residents.
1952 Marin General Hospital (MGH) opens under full operation and control of MHD.
1981 MHD issues a bond to build MGH’s West Wing, adding 78 beds to the hospital.
1985 The Marin Hospital District Board leases the hospital to a new nonprofit, Marin General Hospital Corporation under a 30-year agreement. Soon after this, MGH Corporation enters an affiliation with California Healthcare Systems.
1995 California Healthcare Systems merges with Sutter Health, who assumes ownership of Marin General Hospital.
2006 An agreement is made between Sutter Health and Marin Healthcare District to transfer control of the hospital back to the community.
2010 On June 30, Marin Healthcare District resumes control of Marin General Hospital.